I tossed around a lot of strategies for accomplishing this, and in the end I managed to find a module that does most of the hard work for me.
To create a node which displays the teasers of all its menu children (other nodes nested under current node's menu entry).
What you'll need
- The Menu Node Views module
- the Views Attach module
- I'm not going to even entertain the idea that you aren't using Views
Here's the strategy
- Create a new node type called "Overview Page"
- Create a new view (that aggregates nodes) and name it something like "overview_pages"
- Add a new views display of type "Node content"
- Under "Node content settings" set Node types: Overview Page, Build modes: Full node, Arguments:Use the ID of the node the view is attached to
- Add the "Menu: Node id" argument with the following settings: Action to take if argument is not present: Provide default argument Default argument type: Node ID from URL Depth: 1
- Add a few fields. I'd recommend "Title" at least
- You should also add a published:yes filter
- Create a new Overview page. Make a menu entry for it. Place a few other menu entries under it.
Voila! Each time that you create an overview page, it will automatically display an attached view of the current node's menu children. Pretty cool.